All Files: HTTPS

Man Eaters Of Kumaon (1944)

fullscreen
Author: Corbett,Jim.
Subject: THE ARTS
Publisher: Oxford University Press.
Book contributor: Osmania University
Collection: universallibrary

Average Rating: 4.69 out of 5 stars4.69 out of 5 stars4.69 out of 5 stars4.69 out of 5 stars4.69 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: SWTSUprof - 2.00 out of 5 stars2.00 out of 5 stars - February 1, 2013
Subject: Great book--poor copy
I love this book, and downloaded it for my Kindle. What a disappointment! It looks as if it was run through OCR and not proofed at all. The text is so garbled in places that it can't be read at all. I wonder if there is any way I could proof it. I am an experienced proofer and formatter for the Distributed Proofreaders organization.
Reviewer: huntergill - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - December 3, 2012
Subject: Corbett of Nainital
Corbett stories are based in the kumaon region of north India in central provinces,now uttarpradesh and uttrakhand.Roughly where corbett national park is at present.
Reviewer: Rudresh Hospeti - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - July 18, 2012
Subject: gift to one who loves nature for it's nature!!!
For Readers from India that to perticularly Karnataka people it is turly a gift.
All the places mentioned here are in close peripheral to Bengaluru And Mysore Region.

It will take you to those days when all those areas were completely away from 'Human touch'
Even still you can find some Geograpghical clues according to his narrations.

These Books are translated to KANNADA by the author K.P.PoornaChandraTejaswi as "KAADINA KATHEGALU" in 4 volumes
Reviewer: elene11111 - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 6, 2012
Subject: fh
hfgngfngn bbbbbbbb
Reviewer: Khawar Mahmood - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - December 28, 2011
Subject: Other Jungle books of Jim Corbett
Now you can download Tree Tops also

http://www.archive.org/details/TreeTops1955
Reviewer: Caledonian - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - December 15, 2011
Subject: A forgotten type of Indian
This is the story of the sort of British imperialist in India who is seldom now remembered. Jim Corbett came of an undistinguished family who had lived in India for generations, and although British in his race, dress, speech and habits, simply was an Indian in his own country, as much as anyone of Indian descent can be British or American. He started work as a minor official of an Indian railway, but his greatest interest was in the wildlife of the northern Indian jungles, which he frequented alone since early childhood. He always claimed that for someone who knows enough not to give provocation, the jungle was extremely safe.

Man-eaters, however, are another thing entirely, and he always emphasised that even the man-eater, almost invariably prevented by injury or age from hunting his natural prey, is neither guilty nor cruel. But it learns its business, sometimes fearfully well. Corbett never apologised for enjoying shooting as a sport in his early years, but he eventually turned to hunt exclusively man-eaters, for the protection of the people to whom he dedicated one of his books: "My friends, the poor of India."

To this task he brought consumate skill and knowledge. The easy ways of killing an animal rarely work with man-eaters, and Corbett frequently spent weeks, nights after night sitting out alone, after a man-eater which knew of his presence, and was just as interested in stalking him. Perhaps the majority of his man-eaters, in dense and rocky jungle, were killed at a range of feet rather than yards. There are no heroics in this extraordinarily brave man's work. He admits his mistakes freely and with humour, and was often in a state of real, well-informed fear. His friends ranged from the highest in the government to the peasants he loved, and he brought them together in a way few have done. A constant theme is that the tiger is great-hearted gentleman, and doomed by the progress of civilisation, in ways that have nothing to do with hunting, unless something is done. The Jim Corbett National Park exists today because he wanted it so.

Jim Corbett would have been a great man if he had never written a word. But he writes extremely well, with humour and economy of language on a subject which would provoke many to hyperbole. The work is not slowed down by a meticulous attention to detail, and explaining the pros and cons of the decisions he made, which might one day save a reader's life. Books on big-game hunting rank high among those of people who have seen and done, as well as theorised. But Jim Corbett's are undoubtedly the finest I know.
Reviewer: zagger - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - August 4, 2011
Subject: Kenneth Anderson Hunting Books
Someone please upload these books of Kenneth Anderson.
Jungles Long Ago
Man Eaters and Jungle Killers
Tiger Roars
Tales from the Indian Jungle
This is the Jungle
The Call of the Man Eater
Thanks
Reviewer: mobitz - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - July 3, 2011
Subject: Help
I'm trying to download this in mobi. The link no longer seems to be working. Any help?
Reviewer: Balamurugan K - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 22, 2011
Subject: Books of Corbett
His language is simple and vivid. His story telling is marvellous,our mind can be easily picturise his narration. I can't help reading his book 'The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag'. The book has not lost it's suspence.
Reviewer: samcadub - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 13, 2010
Subject: Extra ordinary
I bought this book from Jim Corbett national park's sovenier shop. I read it & fell in love with it. Immediately I bought all books written by Jim Corbett. He is one of the best story teller. You can picturize each & every scene in your mind.
ALSO RECOMMED TO READ "MAN EATING LEOPARD OF RUDRAPRAYAG. I have uploaded this book on this website. I am sure you will love reading it.
Reviewer: sukhendu1953 - 4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars - May 21, 2010
Subject: Very Interesting
I read this book almost non-stop. The book adds a more dangerous dimension if read at night when everything is quite.

Recommend reading for all
Reviewer: Mubashar - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 1, 2010
Subject: Man Eaters Of Kumaon
This was one of my first English books that I ever and it left a lasting impression. The book survived in our family for many years being read to the next generations. I will try to upload a picture of my elder brother reading it to her daughter and my daughter.
Reviewer: Nafees Zar - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - January 19, 2008
Subject: True jungle story
It was the most fascinating story I ever read. The writer encompassed the events so plainely that it discard all the stains of fiction. After reading the book one feels herself/himself as if he was standing in the middle of jungle, and constantly being monitored by a stalking wild cat.

Selected metadata

Identifier: maneatersofkumao029903mbp
Mediatype: texts
Pagelayout: FirstPageRight